Thursday, February 07, 2008

Quote Mania


I think it's bullshit that if you remember lines from "The Simpsons", "Seinfeld", "Star Wars", etc. then you are a derivative, uncouth NERD. But if you quote someone who is dead, then you are LITERARY.

To add some culture to my nerdy persona, I'm learning a new quote per week for the year (or Lent, depending on laziness). This week's is courtesy of St. Patrick's Cathedral in Dublin, from one of my favorite writers (also a longtime head of the cathedral and general smartass).

"We have just enough religion to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." Jonathan Swift

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How do you pick quotes you would like to memorize? Do you have a list?

Would quotes from movies made from popular books count? For example Jane Austen, C.S. Lewis or J.R.R. Tolkien... Is it a literary quote if it is not found through reading?

Also, if The Simpsons are geeky, where do the Star Wars and Lord of the Rings series fall on the "geek" scale?

Just curious.

jtingermany said...

1. I find them as the wind finds a leaf -- in other words, I'm hoping to do no work whatsoever to find the quotes.

2. Maybe, but I'd be pushing my luck.

3. In high school terms, if Simpsons quotes are the soccer team, Star Wars quotes are the marching band, and Lord of the Rings is the Chess Club.

Anonymous said...

It's clear we must, unfortunately, wait for the death of the writers of The Simpsons and Seinfeld. Then we will emerge from our nerddom and be worshiped for the sage philosophers we truly are.
Brent