Thursday, July 16, 2009

Maybe That Free Speech Thing Is Too Much For Internet Morons to Handle...



Sadly, as a proponent of free speech (using the Chomsky definition), I have to argue that people have the right to say things that I completely disagree with -- otherwise I don't support free speech. Of course, supporting some asshat's right to spout off is COMPLETELY different from agreeing with them. After a conservative blog posted a photo of one of the Obama munchkins wearing a peace-symbol t-shirt in Moscow, the comment section for the page filled up with a variety of racist invective. A sampler (reproduced verbatim -- enjoy the creative grammar and punctuation!):

- "What we now are sending the ghetto over to represent us. and if so who the hell is that flea bag who looks to be dragged from the trash dumpster."

- "Looks like a bunch of ghetto thugs. A stain on America."

- "we;'re being represented by a family of ghetto trash."

- "Looks like a typical street whore."

I have to say, these are valid political criticisms expressed thoughtfully and openly. Psyche! Of course, while the sentiments might've been expressed differently, I've no doubt that bleeding heart blogs were filled with similar bullshit about Bush's kids. Ugh. I need a shower.


The list of comments was saved as a jpeg at http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/7610/missobamaspeaceniktshir.jpg . I'm risking my lack of blog cred by saying this, but since the comments were off the site by the time it hit the Vancouver Sun, I can't verify that they weren't a hoax.

No comments: