Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Stolen Top 5 of the 2000s : Drinks

As long-time readers may have guessed, I do enjoy the occasional tipple*. Some in the naughts were more memorable than others. It is sad that in the decade I learned to enjoy both scotch and wine, there were none in particular that stood out.

5. Murphy's Irish Stout - As good as Guinness can be in Dublin, Murphy's in Cork is even better. Maybe not my true love any longer, but still damn tasty.


4. Momokawa Pearl Sake - I thought sake was always served hot and harsh. Then I had some cold Momokawa Pearl with sushi and I was hooked. Now I never pass up the chance for tasty sake -- and I never fail to pass up the heated crap.




3. Nicolas Feuillatte Brut Rosé - This was courtesy of the bartender at Mercy wine bar while I waited for my slacker friends to show up. I'd never had real bubbly before (and some would claim it wouldn't be til later), but this changed how I looked at champagne. Now, of course, I consider it one of the major food groups.


2. Strahov Monastery Dark Beer - It's in the background here, but as good as their amber beer is, their dark is better.  Sure, it's pricey by Prague standards ($3.50 for a pint), but it's worth it.  So, trudge up to the top of Castle hill, then go a bit further.  These guys have taken a vow of celibacy -- the least you can do is appreciate their beer.


1.Pilsner Urquell - All breweries are pretty much the same -- a bunch of tanks, some old (white) guys tasting pre-beer sludge, etc. The bottling plant can be (and was!) cool, but basically you're going for the samples -- be it Guinness, Pilsner Urquell, U Fleků, what have you.  But the king of the samples is Pilsner Urquell's unfiltered, unpasteurized, unmatched brew straight from the casks.  Yo. Yo. Ma.



* Also the occasional nipple.

3 comments:

swcook said...

titter

Yeah, I need to make that Pilsner Urquell pilgrimage. I never was a much of a fan of it before Prague. Now I'll have one just to put me in a place.

deases -- what a Masters candidate from Brooklyn calls his/her final paper.

Sean! said...

we might not be friends anymore unless you agree that Lone Star is in your top 10.

jtingermany said...

Easy, Sean. The next five is tough. But Lone Star was the first American beer I bought in Germany.