Friday, January 01, 2010

Stolen Top 10 of 2000s: Best Flicks



These aren't necessarily the best movies of the decade, but they are the ones I enjoyed the most. So, "City of God", "Triplets of Belleville" and other "great" movies didn't make the cut because I'm shallow in my entertainment tastes. I try to make up for it with my reading habits, though.

10. Team America: World Police - Who would have expected political satire of both sides of the aisle AND an explicit version of The Jackhammer in one movie? And it's made with puppets. America! Fuck Yeah!
9. Star Trek - A worthy reboot, but a bit long. Still, Kirk kicked ass and the rest of the gang was fun. Good to know they didn't settle for 2nd hottest in casting Uhura.
8. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - "Hero" was close, but I had to give the nod to Crouching Tiger in the Artsy Ass Kicker category. If they'd cut the romantic desert scene, it'd have been much higher.
7. Kill Bill, Parts 1 & 2 - Such a variety of styles in two flicks, this is Tarantino at his best. He runs the gamut of 70s flicks, from the gory revenge to kung fu to westerns with a bit of the 70s high cinema thrown in.
6. The Royal Tenenbaums - "And this is my adopted daughter, Margot"
5. The Dark Knight - Action, moral dilemmas, and one messed-up Joker. Good times!
4. Star Wars Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith - Some dislike it, and it is dark. But it's a blast, and Palpatine is quite faaaaabulous as the Emperor. I do think the ending with Obi-Wan and Yoda basically hiding for 20 years is a bit lame.
3. Best In Show - "Counting those, you’ve already packed six kimonos… We’re in Philadelphia for 48 hours." My favorite of the Christopher Guest movies. Brilliant work by everyone. To be fair, it's so good, it probably leaves me a bit underwhelmed by other semprov fare like "Curb Your Enthusiasm"
2. O Brother, Where Art Thou? - "Hot damn, it's the Soggy Bottom Boys!" The Odyssey in Depression-era Mississippi? As a comedy? Oh, yes.
1. Anchorman - "I'm going to punch you right in the ovaries. One shot, right to the babymaker." Oh, Ron Burgundy, how you make me laugh.

Special nods to Ocean's 11, Borat, High Fidelity and Pirates of the Caribbean (the first one) as being close, but not quite there.

* And not the first I'd seen. Usually people like best whichever they saw first of this, "Waiting for Guffman", "A Mighty Wind", etc.

2 comments:

Sean! said...

good list man.

i would have taken out o brother, team america and pirates.

old school ( http://seanlb.blogspot.com/2009/08/old-school.html )
would be number one of course, and i would also replace royal tenenbaums with darjeeling limited, but they're both great. not sure which would replace the other two with.

Unknown said...

Taken out O Brother? Are you fing retarded?

I like Old School, but I think Anchorman is better. Haven't seen Darjeeling, but heard bad things.

And this isn't brendan -- it's jt