Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Living in Fear

Living in the 'dorf spoils you. Apart from an occasionally close encounter with a dumbass driver when I'm on my bike (like, say, 20 min ago), I basically have nothing to fear*. Until today.

I made some tasty tom kha goong** on Sunday, and I bought some new fish sauce. Like a moron, I looked at the bottle and it, of course, said "best if kept in refrigerator". Ugh. So, I had to put it in***. Cut to tonight, I get home after soccer and want a cold drink. This is the first thing I see:

For a split second, I thought, "I wonder what's that in the green top?" Then I realized, and that's when the terror hit me. What if I get home and am a bit tipsy? Or wake up in the night and are too tired to recognize it? Now my fridge has the culinary equivalent of a mousetrap waiting to snap.

What can I say? I like to live dangerously.

* Except fear itself. Or so I'm told.
** Thai coconut soup, it's usually called tom kha gai, but since mine had shrimp, it's a goong.
*** I almost went for "that's what she said", but I don't really think it works here.

No comments: