Monday, February 13, 2012

Lighten Up, Picasso


So, the annual Düsseldorf Kunstakademie Rundgang (the Art Academy Open House) was this weekend. A separate post will follow, but by far the most memorable was the woman above doing a performance art piece. She was just standing and reading under a fake bus stop sign. When I asked her when the next bus was due (in German), she replied with a long-winded spiel about how she was doing a piece to cause us to reflect on the cost of modern economy on our daily lives. She did not mention if waiting until the night before her annual project was due* was a comment on modern arts education and the dehumanization it causes. But I think it was implied.

But I pride myself on my kind, generous** nature, so I have a few follow-up ideas she can use:

  • Stand in her lingerie behind a pane of glass to comment on the dehumanizing nature of prostitution
  • Stand with an umbrella to comment on the dehumanizing nature of rain
  • Stand while texting to comment on the dehumanizing nature of text messaging
  • Stand while looking at a painting to comment on the dehumanizing nature of art
  • Stand while watching a video of a previous performance of her own to comment on the dehumanizing nature of performance art
  • Stand while looking at this webpage to comment on the dehumanizing nature of jackass bloggers

* Yes, I'm assuming, but I feel pretty confident in my assumption.
** Several of my friends choked on their drinks when I said this. Crazy timing, right?

2 comments:

swcook said...

Heh, you said Kunst.

jtingermany said...

Der Potty Mouth, bin ich