- Call a university with a restoration department and ask for help
- Call the Center for Borja Studies and ask for suggestions
- Call the Catholic frickin' Church and ask them to spend some of their ill-gotten* funds on restoring or preserving the art
- Have an elderly parishioner with no experience "fix things up" with absolutely no supervision
The CNN.com article compares it to a scene from the movie "Bean", but I think it's closer to the Seinfeld episode where George has to have his boss re-added a photo. Either way, strong work, Spain!
* If you argue with this term, I suggest you read some history on the Church's activities between, say, 400 AD/CE and today. Then we can talk. By "we can talk", i mean "you can admit the Church is as shady as shady gets".