Monday, October 27, 2014

Treehouse of Horror Rewatch Part 4

The Simpsons is now in its 26th season, which means the annual Treehouse of Horror Halloween episode is turning 25! Ratings are on a 0-5 scale, with 5 being the top, of course.

Treehouse of Horror XIX (Season 20)  2.5 Meh, at best, until the Peanuts mockery. Except for the Mad Men credits, which were also excellent
  • Voting Booth Intro - 3 Short and sweet!
  • Untitled Robot Parody - 1.5 The Transformers movies suck, it's only right that this should, too.
  • How to Get Ahead in Dead-Vertising - 3 The Mad Men intro was a 5, 
  • It's the Grand Pumpkin, Milhouse - 5 In the middle of a dog is a great parody of a childhood favorite. Complete with Marge "speaking" with a trombone
"This doesn't happen in America! Maybe in Ohio, but not in America!"
"Before you kill me, what was the one true religion?" "Eh, it's a mixture of voodoo and Methodist"
"All pumpkins are racist; the difference is I admit it!"
 Treehouse of Horror XVIII (Season 19) 3.5 A lame intro but good segments is definitely a switch from standard late-model Treehouse, but who I am to complain?
  • Annoying Fox Pop-Ups Intro - 4.5 Mocking Fox's craptacular scheduling and overbearing onscreen ads? I'm in.
  • ET, Go Home - 4 Oh Kodos, you scamp.
  • Mr & Mrs. Simpson - 3 Hey! It's the only slightly-exaggerated idea of feeding cows to cows and getting a deadly disease out of it! Ok, that is 100% not exaggerated. But BSE doesn't make fast-zombies... yet.
  • Heck House - 4.5 Hard to go wrong with Flanders showing his brand of goodness and some Bosch-ian* hellscapes!
"Can't anyone just watch the show they're watching?"
To the tune of 'She'll be comin' 'round the mountain' "We'll be killin' every human in 2 days. We'll cook them, we'll eat them, 'cause that's the way to treat them..."
"Marge, I'll be home late tonight. I'm going... to... midnight monkey madness at the zoo." 
"I was just in it for the sin."
"Oh, how I envy the crotchless!"
"All we'll do from now on is pray and fight in wars"

Treehouse of Horror IV (season 5): 5 It shouldn't affect the rating, but I do prefer watching on DVD -- occasionally we get deleted scenes, like this time. And this was the 1st ToH I didn't see "live".
  • The Devil and Homer Simpson - 5 Definitely in the running for top segment. Only downside is that Wiggum's voice isn't right.
  • Terror at 5 1/2 Feet - 4.5 Twilight zone alert! Not as hi-larious as the rest, it's still money.
  • Bart Simpson's Dracula - 5 A craptacular movie gets a parody that great improves it. And the special effects look more realistic in pastel than in the movie. God, I hated it.
(Homer, After reading a note from himself) "Bastard! He's always one step ahead of me!"
"Hmmmm... who's that goat-legged fellow? I like the cut of his jib." That's the Prince of Darkness. He's your 4 o'clock."  
Lionel Hutz! "Mr. Simpson, don't you worry. I watched Matlock in a bar last night. The sound wasn't on, but I think I got the gist of it.
"Aye. My debauchery was my way of compensating"
"My mule wouldn't walk in the mud. I had to put 17 bullets in him."
"I'm doin' all the pullin', ya blouse-wearing poodle-walker!"
"Perhaps spending the rest of your life in a madhouse will teach you some manners"
"Ooh, Dad, this is blood. "Correction: FREE blood."
"Hello Mother. Hello Father. Nothing happened during my unexplained absence."

* Bottom

No comments: