Sunday, October 26, 2014

Treehouse of Horror Rewatch Part The Third

The Simpsons is now in its 26th season, which means the annual Treehouse of Horror Halloween episode is turning 25! Ratings are on a 0-5 scale, with 5 being the top, of course.

Treehouse of Horror XXI (Season 22)  2.5 Soooo... apparently the ToH24 wasn't the first with a super-long pre-credits gag.  My bad. Good stuff, and it still holds up, even "And it'll be Obama's fault." 
  • The Monster Office Intro - 4 As a longtime fan of both Offices, this was a hit for me. Frink somehow managed to not make the laughs with the jokes and the thing. Glaven!
  • War and Pieces - 4 The Jumanji "parody" isn't great, but there are plenty of good lines. I'm an easy sell.
  • Master and Cadaver - 2 A very Meh 1 -- til the twist with Maggie
  • Tweenlight - 1.5 Hey, a Twilight parody! Since I've never read the books or seen the flicks, this one had to stand (or, more accurately, fail) on its own merits. oof.
"Hey! It's gotta be good if Satan put his name on it!"
"There was a bank error in my favor... and I'm spending it all on Oriental Avenue prostitutes!" 
"I just got crushed by a giant horse, Lou, you want to cut me a break?"
"Hey Mr. Positive, shut the hell up!"
"I know, I know... Don't ask him if he knows Frankenstein, it's racist somehow."

Treehouse of Horror XX (Season 21) 3.5 A lame intro but good segments is definitely a switch from standard late-model Treehouse, but who I am to complain?
  • Monsters Night Out Intro - 1.5 Why are the Simpsons the only ones with donuts as party food? This is pretty brilliant. Sadly, the intro isn't -- apart from the werewolf's wife hitting him with a rolled-up newspaper.
  • Dial M For Murder - 4 Twilight? Meh. But Hitchcock? With a chase scene with the "North by Northwest" theme music? The lack of great lines is less important with something so completely in my wheelhouse
  • Don't Have a Cow, Man - 3 Hey! It's the only slightly-exaggerated idea of feeding cows to cows and getting a deadly disease out of it! Ok, that is 100% not exaggerated. But BSE doesn't make fast-zombies... yet.
  • There's No Business Like Moe Business - 4 I also haven't seen Sweeney Todd, but the songs won me over. I do love Simpsons musical numbers!
"Lighten up, ladies, it's not cheating when you're wearing a costume"
Bart: "I've been waiting for you. And trying to find out how girls pee"
"Now, Lisa, you're a vegetarian, but these cows have made a different choice." 
"As a vegetarian, I did not consume any tainted burgers. And as a convenience store clerk, I am armed to the teeth."
"You can apologize in hell!" "I guess I could! (Shoots)"
"I think the better brains is 'are you brains a brains?'"

Treehouse of Horror III (season 4): 5 Yeah, this was never in doubt. The only question is if this will be the best of the lot. As for quotes, the entire damn thing is hilarious, so knock yourself out. This is also one of the last seasons where the episode isn't on the 1st DVD of the season. Thanks a lot, Fox.
  • Clown Without Pity - 5 You're not getting a better mix of parody and straight comedy -- this is Treehouse gold.
  • King Homer - 4 This one has grown on me. A great sendup of the original King Kong, .
  • Dial "Z" For Zombies - 5 Most years, this would be the highlight. But being a VERY close second to a psychotic doll is nothing to be ashamed of -- just ask Walter Mondale.
"That's Not a Bible, that's a book of carpet samples!" "oooh, fuzzy"
"And in environmental news, scientists announced today that Springfield's air is only dangerous to children and the elderly"
"There goes the last lingering thread of my heterosexuality" (This was in 1992 on "network" TV! ) 
"Guess who, fat boy!"
"Marge, Marge, look! The doll is trying to kill me and the toaster has been laughing at me!"
"Yep, here's your problem. Someone set this doll to eeee-vil"
"Homer! I've coughed up scarier stuff than that"
"Grandpa! Why don't you tell us a story? You've led an interesting life." "That's a lie and you know it!"
"I think women and seamen don't mix" "we know what you think, Smithers"
"Martin Prince, report to the principal's office at once - and bring that big, juicy Chess Club brain of yours" 
* Monorail!

No comments: