I'm going to try to change my ways! How, you ask? The way that all the world's problems have traditionally been solved*** -- by blogging about it. I'm going to track (almost) all the groceries I buy and all I throw away. Here is this weekend's haul from the farmer's market & Rewe:
So, my rules:
- Any fresh food I buy gets logged, unless I forget or eat it right away. C'est la vie.
- Meals at restaurants, food stands, etc. don't count unless I waste a bunch, which will be logged.
- Any food wasted inadvertently (berries on the bottom that are already moldy the day I buy them, an egg I drop, etc.) aren't counted as waste.
- The non-food parts of the food (egg shells, stems, cherry pits, etc.) aren't counted as waste. It'd be great if I could compost that, but it's not currently an option.
- Wine and other beverages won't be listed unless they're wasted.
- ALL of the bacon (I only bought 3 strips, knowing I could inhale that) I bought today from the Fleisch Frauen****
- Some fresh homemade pico de gallo (I outdid myself, it was real AND spectacular)
- Two eggs (organic, bought last week) with the leftover green onion, jalepeño and cilantro from the pico.
- A G&T on the side to use up some of the lime ;-).
* Just for you, Steve
*** For my tongue to be any further in my cheek would require surgery
**** My name for the two women who run a butcher stand at the Rheinische Bauern Markt.