So, Ultimate deLux had our first tournament of the year, G-Spot in Ghent. How was it? Let's get the breakdown:
Party: A great party! Of course, you get a bunch of drunk Irish in fancy dress** and you're either going to have fun or the makings of a good joke. Definitely one to return to, hopefully with a costume and after a power nap.
Play: We played ok, but very sporadically. It was painfully obvious that it was our first tournament and that we were missing 2 of our speedy guys due to injury. We finished 7th out of 14, but several people stood out. Jan was a rock on O, Bojan continued to step up his play, and Micha had some big Ds.
Injury Report: Here are the injuries, and their explanations (not necessarily what was claimed by the injured party):
- Judith: Neck, later found out to be the result of bad encounter with a vampire.
- Torben: Ankle, suffered trying to get home early from his previous tournament.
- JT: Ankle, suffered trying to moonwalk on the treadmill to impress a woman.
- Dani: Knee, suffered doing a complete splits while breaking a mark.
- Meryl: Hamstring, suffered while trying to throw both the O and D gurus under the bus.
Team Fun: For the first tournament with this group, it was a blast! The continued quest for Meryl's nickname continued, with Snort leading the way. Fred's dancing and cheers were great, and those who had costumes did so with style (or, more accurately, a complete lack thereof).
* With the help of the Thalys.
** "Costume" for any Americans still reading this